Fix QuickBooks Error 15106 – Payroll Update Error
A Comprehensive Guide to QuickBooks Error 15106
QuickBooks error code 15106 is one of those issues that users face while updating the QuickBooks Desktop application. Therefore, we have mentioned every detail about this error. Now, the users are more prepared to deal with the issue.
QuickBooks is an accounting software provided by intuit and used for accounting across the world. Due to its increasing popularity, it also released industry-specific accounting solutions. Even though it is a very useful product for self-bookkeeping, it also has bugs, known as QuickBooks error.
What Do We Mean by QuickBooks Update Error 15106?
It is an error that hinders the process of updating the payroll application. Therefore, the users will see these error messages on the screen:
Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened.
Error 15106: The update program is damaged.
Triggers Behind QuickBooks Desktop Error 15106
There are many reasons why a user might face QuickBooks Update Error Code 15106. For instance:
- Anti virus software/ Antimalware/ Firewall/ Security System has marked QuickBooks folders as a threat.
- The user is not logged as Windows Administrator.
- The QuickBooks installation files are corrupted/ damaged.
- User Account Control has disapproved of the downloading of updates. Also, the user might be filling wrong administration credentials while updating the QuickBooks Payroll.
How Do I Fix Error Code 15106 in QuickBooks?
We all know there are multiple reasons for the occurrence of this error. Therefore, we are providing some logical solutions to resolve QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106.
Method 1: Log in as an administrator
- Firstly, right-click on the QB Desktop icon, and click on the Run as an administrator option.
- Finally, fill in correct admin credentials and enter into the system as an administrator.
- However, you can also log in as an admin by switching accounts. Hence, go to start –> switch user –> fill the admin credentials. This way, the user will log into the system as an administrator. Now the user may check if they can access QuickBooks without QuickBooks Error 15106.
Method 2: End the antivirus process| rename the folders
Press these keys simultaneously: Ctrl+Shift+Esc. It will open the task manager.
- After that, go to processes tab, and click the antivirus file that has EXE as its extension.
- Right-click on that file and end the process.
- To rename the folders, go to File Explorer.
- Follow this path:
- For 32-bit users – C: Program Files Intuit QuickBooks(year) Components
- For 64-bit users – C: Program Files(x86) Intuit QuickBooks(year) Components
- After that, rename the folder downloadqbXX by right-clicking on it. Here, the XX represents the year version of QuickBooks.
- Finally, add OLD in this format: downloadqbxx.old
At last, re-update the QB Desktop and check if QuickBooks error code 15106 is resolved or not.
Method 3: Turning off the User Account Control(UAC)
- Look for the User Accounts –> Change User Account Control settings. Click Yes to Continue.
- Finally, drag the slider to the Never Notify option. At last, the task is completed.
- Firstly, go to search –> Type Control Panel –> Press Enter Key.
After that, reboot the PC to check if QuickBooks Update Error 15106 is fixed or not. However, make sure that you turn on the UAC back to the Always notify button after the task is completed.
Method 4: Clean install in a selective startup setting
Make sure you have prepared a backup of the company files before proceeding with the solution.
- Firstly, access Run by using the Windows+R key.
- Type MSConfig in the field. After that, press enter to proceed.
- This will open the system configuration window. Here, go to the general tab –> selective startup. Check to Load the system option.
- After that, go to the service tab and check to hide all Microsoft services.
- Thereafter, click the Disable all button. At last, checkmark the box of windows installer. There, find the list of services options.
- After that, restart the system and reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop. Follow this path again: Run –> MSConfig –> General Tab –> Normal Setup.
- Finally, go to the system configuration window and click the reboot option.
It will resolve the issue of QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106. Alternatively, users can try the QuickBooks Clean Install option available on Intuit.
Method 5: Reboot .bat file
If none of the above options work, then try rebooting the BAT file to fix QuickBooks error code 15106.
Here is how you can do it:
- Firstly, close QB Desktop, and right-click on its icon.
- Go to Properties –> Open File Location.
- Finally, the user will find the reboot.bat file. They have to right-click on it and choose the Run as an Administrator option.
- The command prompt window will open, however you have to close it manually.
At last, restart the system, download the updates again, and check if QuickBooks Update Error 15106 persists or not.