What is QuickBooks Error 6094 & How does it Look when it occurs
QuickBooks Error 6094 typically occurs when the application fails to start the web database. QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to access your company file in a Multi-user network. But sometimes, the communication between the server manager and the QuickBooks company file can get disrupted due to having firewall/antivirus software conflicts or QBW file corruption.
The error 6094 in QuickBooks shows up when the anti-virus or third-party security programs such as PC Tools Internet Security, AVG Anti-Virus, and SpyHunter Malware block QuickBooks software. This may also prevent the software from running freely on your system and close all the background processes due to which you won’t be able to work on it anymore.
The following warning prompt starts appearing on your screen when you try to open the QuickBooks Desktop application:
“An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to start the database server that manages access to the QuickBooks company file. Error (-6094,0)”
Possible Reasons behind the QuickBooks Error 6094
Security program updates, antivirus software interruption, and some other reasons leading to QuickBooks Error 6094, here’s a list of the most common ones:
- QuickBooks is not added as an exception on your antivirus software.
- Antivirus software is blocking QuickBooks from accessing the company file.
- The qbdmgr.exe and qbdmgrN.exe files are still quarantined in your antivirus software.
- Firewall Settings are not properly configured.
- Multiple workstations on your server host the company file at the same time or are set as host servers.
- There’s damage or corruption in the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Due to accessing damaged company files or having program-related errors, you may find trouble while opening/ accessing your software.
- QuickBooks Desktop software is improperly or partially installed in your system.
- The QuickBooks version you’re currently using is not up-to-date.
How to identify the effect of QuickBooks Error 6094?
There are many different ways to determine and spot the QuickBooks Error 6094, which are as follows:
- Inability to access your data file.
- You may notice frequent connection failures in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Windows may restart and shut down abruptly.
- Updating the QuickBooks Desktop application is quite challenging due to various reasons.
- The screen freezes, keeps loading, or stops responding to your commands.
Customized Solution for QuickBooks Error 6094
- To resolve QuickBooks Error 6094, you first need to check your Internet connection: if it is unstable or poor, immediately contact your service provider; otherwise, you won’t be able to access your company file on different workstations.
- After this, check the QuickBooks version you have installed doesn’t have any corruption. To avoid installation or update errors, you can restart or repair your QuickBooks software.
- Before repairing or performing a clean installation, always create a backup of your company file. This will help you access your data even if it is misplaced, lost, or mistakenly deleted from your system.
- If the error still persists, check your antivirus and QuickBooks software. Both must be updated to the latest version, and make sure you’ve logged in with the correct administrator rights.
- To open the company file in a multi-user mode, verify that all the systems are connected to the same network and the hosting is enabled on the server computer (the computer that hosts your company file).
- Also, we recommend you verify that the company file you’re trying to access from your server should not be opened on another workstation using the same login credentials.
- You can use Quick Fix My Program from the tool hub to close any open background QuickBooks processes and run a quick repair in your program. This tool helps you to scan and review the common errors related to your program or company file data and then fix them at once.
- After applying all the quick fixes, if nothing gets resolved, head towards the solutions we have discussed below.
Advanced Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Error 6094
Solutions Part 1
Before going through the solution part, here’s a list of certain precautionary steps that must be implemented carefully:
- Make sure you follow the correct file path when adding QuickBooks desktop to your Bitdefender exclusion list; otherwise, various security programs restrict you from working on your ongoing tasks.
- Update your antivirus software to the latest release when you add exceptions to it to prevent QuickBooks Desktop Directory from being scanned.
- You are recommended to check the file extensions qbdmgr.exe and qbdmgrN.exe before restoring it from the virus vault or quarantine.
- Disable the Firewall or antivirus programs temporarily in case any one of them is blocking QuickBooks access or preventing it from connecting to your server computer on a multi-user network.
- Also, ensure that it is properly added as an exception in QuickBooks, as if the issue is with your antivirus software, you won’t be able to open your QuickBooks as well as the company file.
- It is important to check if your hosting settings are correct on your server computer and if QuickBooks services like QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService are running properly. If it is not, you won’t be able to access your company file from multiple workstations.
Solution Part 2
To communicate with the server or access the company file, below we have discussed some possible solutions for the antivirus application that may help you to prevent QuickBooks from being scanned and fix QuickBooks Error 6094. For this, adhere to the steps listed below:
Adding QuickBooks to Bitdefender exclusion list
Bitdefender protects your device and data with excellent malware detection and removal rates. This antivirus has an excellent tool to save your device from different online threats, optimize your device performance, and secure your sensitive data. Here’s how to add QuickBooks Desktop to your Bitdefender exclusion list. Sometimes, disabling Bitdefender won’t fix the error.
- If you’re working on a 32-bit Windows operating system, add “C:\Program Files\Common Files.”
- However, if you have a 64-bit Windows operating system, add “C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit.”
Check Antivirus Software Settings, Make Sure QuickBooks is Not Blocked by It
Antivirus software is especially designed to detect, prevent, and remove unfamiliar pop-ups, malicious threats, or other critical viruses from your computer. This is basically the cybersecurity medium that helps to locate and eliminate any viruses or other types of dangerous threats to the device.
Such Antivirus programs protect your software against malware such as spyware, trojans, ransomware, adware, viruses, worms, etc. Viruses are carefully coded by skillful programmers to exploit security vulnerabilities in computers. To prohibit cyberattacks from stealing personal information, spying on your device resources, and affecting the performance of your computer, you are recommended to check your Antivirus software settings.
If you want to run antivirus software on your QuickBooks software, add QuickBooks as an exclusion to prevent it from scanning by Antivirus Software and also provide accurate access and permissions to your program. These antivirus software scans your system to ensure that no viruses are lying active on your device. If your antivirus program locates a virus, it will prevent the file from running in your system and keep it quarantined so that other folders are not affected. After this, you can choose to delete the virus or ignore the warning prompt and allow the file to run if you believe it was a false detection.
Restore QuickBooks files from quarantine (if any)
There may be a possibility that somehow your antivirus identified QuickBooks as a threat and due to which transferred critical QuickBooks executable files into the Quarantine folder. Follow the steps below to recover the file back to its original state:
- Firstly, navigate to AVG Anti-Virus User Interface and then click on History.
- Select Virus Vault and then locate the QuickBooks files that have been quarantined. For example qb.exe, qbw32.exe, qbdbmgr.exe, qbdbmgrn.exe.
- Now, choose the files you wish to restore, click Restore, and hit the Close tab.
- After this, open QuickBooks Desktop.
Check Firewall Configuration Settings
Note: Make sure QuickBooks is added as an exception in the Firewall.
If Windows Firewall Settings are misconfigured, it may hamper every single operation running in your system and restrict QuickBooks from connecting to the multi-user network. Let’s set up Windows Firewall exceptions by following the below-listed steps:
Step 1: Add Firewall port exception for QuickBooks
Adhere to the following instructions for each QuickBooks Desktop version if you’re using multiple versions on the same computer.
- Navigate to the Windows Start menu.
- Write down Windows Firewall in the search bar and then hover over Windows Firewall Settings.
- Choose Firewall Advanced options from the left sidebar.
- After this, you get the inbound and outbound rules under Advanced Settings.
- Hit right-click on Inbound Rules and then select the New Rule option.
- In the New Rule window, click on Port and later press Next.
- Next, be sure that TCP is selected.
- Under the Specific local ports field, type the Specific ports required for the QB year version you are currently using:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
QuickBooks Desktop 2021, 2022, and later versions use dynamic ports. Let’s see how to get a dynamic port number:
- Once you enter the port number, press Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and hit the Next tab.
- If you’re prompted, make sure all profiles are marked. Later, click the Next icon again.
- Create a rule and name it “QBPorts(year).”
- After this, select Finish.
- Re-implement similar actions to create outbound rules.
Step 2: Create Windows firewall exceptions for QuickBooks programs
QuickBooks makes use of executable files (.exe) to perform many accounting operations. To create exceptions for each executable on the table, adhere to the following steps:
- Go to the Windows Start menu.
- Now, enter Windows Firewall into the search bar, and then open Windows Firewall.
- Select the Advanced Settings option.
- Hit right-click on Inbound Rules and hit the New Rule tab.
- Choose Program and then press Next.
- Afterward, choose This Program Path and click on Browse.
- Search and select any one executable file from the table listed below. Then, hit the Next tab.
- Moving ahead, select the option Allow the Connection and then click Next.
- If prompted, you need to verify that all profiles are tickmarked and then click the Next button.
- Create a rule and give it a name: “QBFirewallException(name.exe).”
- And finally, re-implement the same steps to create outbound rules.
Below is a list of some executable files, along with their locations:
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
|C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR
|C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
|C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup
|C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR
Once you have set your firewall permissions, open QuickBooks on your workstations, hover over the File menu, and then select the Switch to Multi-user Mode option.
Check the Server Hosting Settings
- In the first place, open QuickBooks on your server computer.
- Go to the QuickBooks File menu on your system and hover over Utilities.
- If the “Host Multi-User Access” option shows up in the list, go to a different workstation. This specifies that the system you had earlier was not the one hosting the company file.
- However, if the “Stop Multi-User Access” is available on the list, choose Disable Hosting to turn on the QuickBooks single-user mode.
- Repeat the same steps on all the workstations where you notice QuickBooks Error 6094.
- After this, press the Yes button to confirm the changes you made.
- Once you reset multi-user mode on all systems, check if you’re able to access your company file from multiple workstations at the same time.
Note: You must have the full version of QuickBooks Desktop installed on your server; if it’s not, this means you only have Database Server Manager on your server computer.
Repair QuickBooks Desktop
- For this, restart your system and then create a company file backup.
- Now, enter the correct admin credentials to log into your software.
- Navigate to the Windows Start menu and choose the Control Panel.
- After this, select the Programs and Features option and then click on Uninstall a Program.
Note: If you’re unable to find the Programs and Features option, select the Programs option instead.
- From the list of Programs, choose QuickBooks Desktop and hit the Uninstall/Change tab.
- Press Continue and then click on Repair.
- After this, hit the Next tab and wait for the tool to start repairing.
- Once the repair is completed successfully, select the Finish icon.
Use QuickFix My Program from QuickBooks Tool Hub
To close any open background QuickBooks processes and run a quick repair in your program, you are recommended to Run Quick Fix My Program from the tool hub. This process helps you diagnose and fix the errors that are related to your program or company file data. The Quick Fix My Program icon is located under the QuickBooks Tool Hub, so it is important to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub first before running Quick Fix My Program on your PC.
Quick Fix My Program is one of the most popular tools from the QuickBooks Tool Hub used to resolve the common errors that may occur while installing, updating, or accessing QuickBooks applications in your system. This tool scans and reviews the system files and looks for common errors that may hinder your software performance and prevent you from opening your company file or folder. After identifying the error, this program attempts to resolve it without damaging your files or data.
Make Use of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
The QuickBooks Clean Install Tool has been introduced to remove unwanted files and folders that are not in use and cover extra space in your memory. It cleanses up your system and ensures a hassle-free and seamless reinstallation of the software. You can reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using the QuickBooks clean install tool if you’re getting company file issues repeatedly, which prevent your software from functioning properly.
The entire clean installation is performed by uninstalling the application, renaming the downloaded installation folders, and reinstalling it in your system. This tool allows you to delete the previous installation folders and makes space for fresh files. Damaged installation folders, corrupted programs, and data files can all be repaired using the clean install utility.
Update QuickBooks Desktop & Windows to The Latest Release
It is always recommended to Update QuickBooks to the latest version at regular intervals. This helps you to improve data security, software performance, and access all the services offered by Intuit. The outdated application doesn’t let you receive any new or critical security updates that may protect your software from vulnerable data breaches.
Whenever any update is available, QuickBooks will notify you in advance through email, in-product notifications, and the product page itself. There are two ways to update your software to the most recent version; either you can automatically download and install the latest QB updates, or you can also run the manual updates.
If you turn on the Automatic Update feature, QuickBooks will automatically download the updates whenever they’re available. You can see the Update available on the status bar at the top right corner of the screen as soon as the updates are downloaded. After this, the Update will install automatically once you close the product and keep the system/PC switched on. But if you don’t want to download the updates automatically, then this is the time to update your software by following the manual instructions.
Expectantly, QuickBooks Error 6094 0 has been resolved after applying any of the above-listed solutions. If you are looking for additional solutions or information related to your software, get connected with our ebetterbooks team. For this, you need to dial our support phone number 1-802-778-9005.