Do you need to access QB in multi-user mode? If yes, then having QuickBooks Database Server Manager is the solution to all your problems.
What is QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager, also known as Intuit personal Database Manager, is a powerful tool that allows you to access different files or folders simultaneously. This tool makes it super easy for the users to create network data files for each company file on the host system. You can’t access multi-user mode in QuickBooks without having this tool.
QBDSM tool is used to share the company files with other systems over the network. At present, you can access this tool through more than one version of QuickBooks Desktop software. Also, multiple users can work on the same company file using this exclusive utility.
Here’s what QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows QB users to implement:
- Scan the QuickBooks company file, as it is important for multi-user networks.
- Check the local storage device to detect the new company file automatically.
Remember: The QuickBooks Desktop needs excellent file performance on the network so you can install and set up the tool on your system at the company files’ location.
When and Why do you need QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
In this section, we have mentioned all the essential info about QuickBooks database server manager; let’s take a look:
- The QuickBooks database server manager creates Network Data Files (.ND Files) stored in the Host workstation. To use the multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, you are recommended to install each version of the database server manager.
- This tool has multiple versions; therefore, it can offer multiple versions of processes but can not provide multiple versions of the software as well.
- When the server works for each year, database services are running in the background. But you need to ensure that the services of the Windows interface can easily be accessed through the Control Panel, which is mentioned in the QuickBooks DBXX, where the xx indicates the number of versions.
- The database server manager installation is compulsory if you need access to multiple versions of the QB processes.
- It is required to install the Database Server Manager in chronological order from the oldest to the newest version for each of the versions when you need to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Every QB version adds at least one user when the QuickBooks database server manager is installed (for example, QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
Note: You need to make sure that the latest QuickBooks database server manager version is installed on your PC.
Easy-to-apply Methods for QuickBooks Database Server Manager Download & Installation!
Before moving further, you need to know that the QuickBooks Database server manager is a crucial part of your QuickBooks company file, and it is available with your accounting software.
Here’s how to download and install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server computer (the computer that hosts your company files).
Step 1: Download QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Firstly, shut down QuickBooks and download the latest QuickBooks Tool Hub version from the official Inuit website.
Note: The most recent tool hub version is 1.6. 0.3.
- Now, save the File to a location that is easily accessible, like your Downloads folder or Windows desktop.
- Open the File you downloaded earlier named QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Press Yes to follow all the on-screen instructions and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After this, hit the Next icon and select the Install option.
- When the installation comes to an end, select the Finish tab.
- Later, click the Windows desktop icon twice to open the tool hub program.
Important Note: Hold and Press the Windows or Start key if you are unable to locate the icon, and then search for QuickBooks Tool Hub. Once found, choose the program to open it.
- Once done, select QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the Network Issues tab.
Step 2: Install Database Server Manager
Note: If you’re an accountant who hosts multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on your network, it is advisable to install them in order, i.e., install the oldest version first and end with the latest one.
- Close all open programs on your server, including the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Now, locate and access the install file you downloaded named Setup_QuickBooks.exe, and click the Start tab in the installation wizard.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and agree to the terms and license agreement.
- If you’re prompted to select an install type, choose Custom or Network Options. Then hit the Next tab and avoid clicking on Express.
Note: The Express option can install QuickBooks Desktop over your previous QuickBooks Desktop version, which may be needed for comparison and troubleshooting purposes.
- After this, select the best option for your network setup and then press the Next button. Both options can install the Database Server Manager.
Remember: Your existing company file data won’t overwrite if QuickBooks Desktop is already downloaded to your server.
- If you want Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, choose the option I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network. We strongly recommend this option.
- However, in case you only want Database Server Manager on your server computer, select I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer.
- Hit the Yes tab and Allow access, then type your unique License and Product number.
- Finally, follow the rest of the instructions appearing on your screen to complete the entire installation process.
- When you’re ready, click on Install.
Note: QuickBooks creates a new Windows user for each Database Server Manager version, i.e., Database Server Manager 2023 shows up as QBDataServiceUser33. Thus, you need to allow QBDataServiceUserXX (XX is the user number) to access the folders that hold your company files.
How to Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Once you have installed the QBDSM, now it’s time to configure it. The steps for this are as follows:
Note: This process can be skipped if you want to use the default settings.
- Go to the Windows Start menu.
- Next, type Services in the search box and then open Services.
- Choose and open the QuickBooksDBXX service (XX refers to the version number).
- After this, hit the General tab and locate the Service status section. Then, click on Stop if it’s Started or Running.
- Select the Automatic icon from the Startup type.
- Navigate to the Logon window and then opt for the Local System account icon.
- Hover over the Recovery option and click on Restart the Service from each of these drop-down menus named First Failure, Second Failure, and Subsequent Failures.
- In the end, go back to the General tab and select the Start icon to restart Database Server Manager.
Permit QuickBooks Database Server Manager to run on the Server Computer
After downloading the QuickBooks database server manager, configure firewall settings manually so that you can easily run QuickBooks in a multi-user environment. Adhere to the below-given steps:
Step 1: Add Firewall port exception for QuickBooks
If you’re using multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions on the same computer, go through the following steps for each version.
- Firstly, open the QB database server manager and hit the Port monitor tab.
- Navigate to the Windows Start menu.
- Enter “Windows Firewall” into the search bar and open Windows Firewall Settings.
- Choose Firewall Advanced options from the left sidebar.
- Under Advanced Settings, you get the inbound and outbound rules.
- After this, hit right-click on Inbound Rules and then select the New Rule option.
- Click on Port in the New Rule window and then press the Next button.
- Next, make sure that TCP is selected.
- Enter the particular ports in the Specific local ports field required for the QuickBooks year version you are using:
- Enter 8019, XXXXX for QuickBooks Desktop 2020 and later.
- Type 8019, XXXXX for QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
- Enter 8019, 56728, 55378-55382 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Type 8019, 56727, 55373-55377 for QuickBooks Desktop 2017.
QuickBooks Desktop 2019, 2020, and later versions use dynamic ports. Here’s how to get a dynamic port number:
- Once you enter the port number, click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection window and then hit the Next tab.
- If you’re prompted, ensure all profiles are tickmarked. Click Next again.
- Create a rule and give it a name: “QBPorts(year).”
- When all set, select Finish.
- Re-perform the same steps to create outbound rules.
Step 2: Create Windows firewall exceptions for QuickBooks programs
QuickBooks uses executable files (.exe) to perform various accounting tasks. Follow these steps to create exceptions for each executable on the table:
- Head to the Windows Start menu and type Windows Firewall into the search bar, then open Windows Firewall.
- Now, choose Advanced Settings.
- Click right on Inbound Rules and then hit the New Rule tab.
- Choose Program and then press Next.
- Afterward, select This Program Path and then click Browse.
- Locate and click on any one executable file from the table listed below. Then click Next.
- Moving ahead, choose Allow the Connection window and then hit the Next icon.
- If prompted, you need to review that all profiles are checkmarked. Later on, press the Next button.
- Create a rule and give a name to it: “QBFirewallException(name.exe).”
- And lastly, repeat the same steps to create outbound rules.
Here’s a list of some executable files, along with their locations:
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
|C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR
|C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR
|C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks
|C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup
|C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR
What to do to seamlessly Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)?
QuickBooks Database server manager gives you permission to share and manage your company files with other PCs over your network. This tool also helps you to check your multi-user network. When you set up your network, you need to have QBDSM running on your server so that users can access your company files.
After downloading, installing, or configuring QuickBooks Database Server Manager, it is important to scan the company files so that you can access them from multiple systems on the network. Below are the steps you need to perform:
Step 1: Scan your Folders
Prior to sharing your files, you have to scan the folders once holding them. Let’s see how:
- To begin with, open the Windows Start menu on the server system (the one that hosts your company files).
- Now, enter the Database into the search bar and then open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Hit the Scan Folders tab.
Note: If you’re using QuickBooks
- After this, select the Browse option and then click on the folders that hold your company files (QBW).
- Press the OK button when you’re ready.
- At last, click on the Start Scan icon.
Once the scan finishes, the folders display under the QuickBooks Company Files found section. You can now open the company files in such folders from other computers on your network.
Step 2: Add folders
- Click on the Add Folders tab and then select the Folder you want to add there.
- The folder is located under the folders that contain the QuickBooks company file.
Step 3: Remove folder
- Choose the Folder that contains the QuickBooks Company Files option to remove the existing folder.
- Then, hit the Remove Folder tab.
Step 4: Start Scanning
- Initially, press the Scan the Folders tab listed under the folders that contain the QuickBooks company files.
- Once you’re done scanning, you will notice the list of company files found in that folder.
Step 5: Monitor your Drives
The drives holding the folders display in the Monitored Drivers tab after scanning them. Then, choose the Drive to monitor these folders. This way, you don’t have to rescan the folders if you ever change or move the company files into them. The steps for this process are as follows:
- Firstly, navigate to the Monitored Drives window.
- Now, tickmark the checkboxes for the hard drives that contain your company files.
Note: You are recommended to only add drives having your company files.
- Then, move your company files to the Drive, and there’s no need to rescan the folders.
Note: You can’t scan your mapped drives.
Step 6: Manage Database Server Manager
There are other different tabs in QB Database Server Manager that keep everything functioning smoothly, which include:
- The System tab notifies you where Database Server Manager is installed on your system.
- The Database Server tab provides you with the real-time status of the tool and also allows you to check who’s connected to it.
Note: You’ll have to change the Firewall Settings if QuickBooks Database Server Manager isn’t running on your server.
Step 7: Restart Database Server Manager
It is recommended to restart the QB Database server manager on your server computer if you can’t open it or get an error.
To install QuickBooks Desktop and Database Server Manager, follow the steps below:
- In the first place, open QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer.
- Hover over the File menu and then choose Open or Restore Company.
- After this, select the Open a company file option. Then, locate and access your company file.
- Hit the Next tab and tickmark the Open File in multi-user mode checkbox, then click on Open.
- Now, log in to your company file.
- Hover over File and select Close Company/Log off. This will close your company file on the server.
- Moving ahead, go to the Windows Start menu and type “Database” into the search bar, then launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
To only installed QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server computer, adhere to the steps given below:
- Head to the Windows Start menu.
- Now, search and open the Control Panel.
- Choose and open Administrative Tools.
- After this, select Services from the List.
- Hit right-click on the QuickBooksDBXX service and then choose Restart.
Note: XX indicates your Database Server Manager year. For instance, the 2021 version is QuickBooksDB31.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager is an outstanding feature for all QB users who want to access their company files in a multi-user environment. But at times, this process becomes so annoying if you don’t have much knowledge about this tool or you’re new to it.
For a better understanding of how to download, install, or use QBDSM, immediately connect with our experts at XXXXXX and let us assist you with the best possible resolution.
How to fix common QuickBooks Database Server Manager Error?
If the errors are displaying when using QBDSM, adhere to the steps below:
- Update QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Database Server Manager to the latest release.
- The network and computer must meet the minimum system requirements recommended to run the QBDSM.
- Configure the firewall settings manually.
- Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool for diagnosing company file-related errors.
- Verify and Rebuild your company file data.
What are the functions of QuickBooks Database Server Manager, or when is it used in QuickBooks?
This tool permits users to host their QuickBooks company files over a server and allows multiple users to open the same company file at the same time. But you don’t need to install it if you are using single-user mode.
How to uninstall the old QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
To uninstall or delete the old QBDSM, adhere to the following steps:
- On your keyboard, Hold and press the Windows key + R keys on your keyboard.
- Now, type appwiz.cpl when the Run dialog box opens up, then hit the OK tab.
- Choose the QuickBooks Database Server Manager option.
- After this, click on Uninstall/Change and then follow all the on-screen instructions.
Can QuickBooks Database Server Manager be downloaded separately?
No, you can’t download QuickBooks Database Server Manager separately on your network as it comes up with the installation package of QuickBooks Desktop software.