How to Setup QuickBooks Desktop: A Step-by-Step Guide
Understanding how to set up QuickBooks Desktop is important no matter you are new to Intuit’s accounting software or switching from another system. In this article, we will explain the complete process step by step. Follow the detailed instructions mentioned below to get QuickBooks Desktop running on your system. Let’s go into the details and make your financial operations up and running.
Download QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to the Products & Services Page in the Intuit account dashboard.
- Now, choose Yes, No, or Not sure accordingly if you want to use QuickBooks Desktop in multi-user mode.
- Select your preferred country.
- Select the edition (Pro, Premier, or Enterprise) as per your requirements.
- Look for the latest QB release in the list of products and click on it.
- After this, you will be directed to the download page for QuickBooks Desktop 2024.
- Finally, press download from here to start the download process.
How to Install QuickBooks Desktop?
Before starting the installation, make sure you have the latest QuickBooks version downloaded to your system. Also, keep your product and license number handy. Once done, locate the installation file on your desktop and click twice to begin the QuickBooks Desktop installation process. Here’s what to do:
- Locate the downloaded file where you can find it easily.
- Run the downloaded QuickBooks executable (QuickBooks.exe).
- Follow the instructions appearing on your screen.
- Accept the software’s license agreement and then click on the Next tab.
- Enter your product and license numbers. Then press Next.
How to Register/Activate QuickBooks Desktop?
User has two options when it comes to activating QuickBooks Desktop Software:
Method 1: Call Intuit to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop
This method is useful in two scenarios:
- When you encounter issues during the registration process.
- When you seek an alternative approach to complete the registration.
Follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on your computer after completing the installation process.
- Go to the QuickBooks top menu.
- Select the Help menu option.
- Choose About QuickBooks from the drop-down menu.
- Press the Ctrl + R and P keys on your keyboard.
- An information window will appear, which will display the details about your QuickBooks account.
- Use the provided information to connect with Intuit’s registration line.
- Share all the necessary details during the call.
- Intuit will provide you with a validation code; make sure to write it down for safekeeping.
- Finally, enter the validation code to activate or register QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 2: Activate QuickBooks Desktop Manually
- Open the QuickBooks software on your desktop computer.
- In the top bar of the QuickBooks Desktop software, click the Help button to reveal a drop-down menu.
- Choose Activate QuickBooks Desktop from the drop-down menu.
- A window will appear on your screen. Click on Begin Activation to start the activation process for your QuickBooks Desktop software.
- The activation steps may vary based on how you purchased your QuickBooks Desktop license. You need to follow the on-screen instructions and enter the necessary information.
- Once you’ve completed all the steps, a message will confirm that your application has been registered and activated.
Now, you can open your company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Setup QuickBooks Desktop?
After the completion of all the processes mentioned above, it is time to set up QuickBooks Desktop. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to learn how to set up QuickBooks Desktop:
Create a New Company in QuickBooks Desktop
You have to learn how to create a new company in QuickBooks Desktop if you are using QuickBooks for the first time. Follow the below-mentioned steps which Intuit provides:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- In the No Company Open window, select Create a new company.
- You have two setup options:
- Express Start: Get started quickly by entering your business name, industry, and business type. You can add more details later.
- Detailed Start: For a comprehensive setup, input all your information from the beginning.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
Note: Give a unique name to your new company file if you already have an existing QuickBooks file to avoid accidental data overwriting.
Import Business Data to QuickBooks Desktop
The latest version of QuickBooks offers data import and eliminates manual transfers and complicated setups. This upgraded software facilitates smooth data migration, which includes transactions from bank accounts, customer data from Excel, and your Excel chart of accounts.
Follow these steps to take benefits of these capabilities:
- Click on the Company tab within QuickBooks to access the company tab.
- Select More and Import Data from the drop-down menu.
This enhanced QuickBooks version allows you to manage your business data efficiently, ensuring accuracy and organization.
Sync Bank Accounts with QuickBooks Desktop
Follow these simple steps to integrate your bank transactions with QuickBooks seamlessly:
- Click on the Banking tab at the top of the screen. This action will automatically link QuickBooks to your bank account.
- Next, click on Download Transactions.
- When a pop-up window appears, then you need to enter the bank details you want to sync with the software.
- In another pop-up window, use your online banking username and password. After a few minutes, your account will be synced with QuickBooks, and all your bank transactions will be imported.
- Finally, associate your customer and vendor names with each transaction. This organized data will help you keep track of credit and debit information effectively.
Sync Business Credit Cards
Follow these simple steps to set up your credit card account in QuickBooks:
- Click on the Banking tab at the top of the menu.
- Choose More, and then select Register from the drop-down menu.
- Add your bank account details and select the Credit Card option in the pop-up window.
- QuickBooks will promptly launch a credit card setup wizard to assist you in syncing your cards in just a few steps.
Customize Specific Invoice with Company Banking
QuickBooks offers customizable invoices and allows the flexibility to modify the style, color, font, layout, and size. However, it’s essential to note that full invoice customization is exclusively accessible to QuickBooks Plus subscribers.
To customize your invoice in QuickBooks, follow these steps:
- Click on the Customers tab to access the customization menu.
- Select Create Invoices.
- Choose your desired invoice template from the drop-down list and make it your own.
- Further, customize the invoice by clicking on the Formatting tab and then selecting Customize Data Layout.
- Pay attention to the Use Logo Checkbox to ensure your logo appears correctly and isn’t cropped when used in the invoice design.
Import Contacts to QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the instructions for importing data into QuickBooks:
- Click on Company > More > Import Data.
- Depending on whose data you want to import, select either Customers or Vendors.
- You can upload the data of Customers and Vendors in the form of an Excel or CSV file.
- After importing the file, QuickBooks will automatically extract the data.
- Be aware that QuickBooks may encounter some errors during the data copying process.
- Once you’ve accurately filled in all the data, you can proceed to Continue and review the information.
Note: Remember to double-check your data for accuracy before finalizing the import.