Get to know the possible reasons and troubleshooting of unexpected error 5 in QuickBooks desktop.
The QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 pops up when the QB Database Service User can’t access the company file from its file location. Here, the user is blocked from accessing the file. It affects the work efficiency of a user. With this article, we will learn in-depth about QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5, and get to know its causes.
QuickBooks is a widely known accounting software across the globe. It has helped millions of users in generating accurate financial statements. Apart from that, QB users get accounts receivables and payables in one click. It offers a lot of features, but it also has some shortcomings. For example, Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks.
User Navigation [show]
What is Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks?
As mentioned earlier, QuickBooks error 5 occurs when the QuickBooks Database Service Manager cannot access the file location due to restrictions. They also see this warning message on the screen:
“Got unexpected error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for Path.”
“Encountered QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 in call to NetShareGetInfo for path\\server\file.QBW”
Usually, they occur because there are some invalid entries in the Windows registry. Also, the system does not have the configuration as per the requirement.
Why Does QuickBooks Error Code 5 Pop Up?
Multiple reasons can lead a user to the unexpected error 5 issue:
- The system faced a forced shutdown. Otherwise, it was shut down improperly.
- Your QuickBooks Software isn’t installed correctly.
- The Windows Registry has invalid entries.
- If the system is under malware or virus attack, the error issue may occur.
- When the system files or registry entries get deleted by a mistake.
- The windows user account currently being used doesn’t have permission to work on it.
- When the download location of POS’s update is invalid.
Troubleshooting QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5: Ways To Fix It
As there are many reasons why QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 occurs, we have listed many methods to fix the issue. Try them in any order that deems fit to you.
Method 1: Close The User Account Control
- Here, press the start button and go to the control panel. Now, the user has to look for their User Account to solve the Unexpected Error 5 in QuickBooks.
- Once done, click the Change User Account Control Settings. When it is done, press the Yes button. Now, drag the slider to the Never notify option and click OK to restart the windows.
- If the error is resolved, then the user has to go back and turn on the UAC. It provides security and allows Windows to function properly.
Method 2: Recreating The User File
- Firstly, open the accounting software and choose the company tab. After that, click users–> carry on–> set up user and roles.
- Now, look for the errors troubling the current user from the user list. After that, remove it from the list.
- Finally, look for a new account and get your username and password. Thereafter, fit the roles for this user. Finish it off by pressing OK. You’ve successfully created a new user.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 193 0xC1 ?
Method 3: Give Access To File Sharing
- Initially, the user has to give access to the file share option for fixing the error.
- After that, the user needs to open their file explorer and right-click the folder with the company data file. Now, go to properties–> sharing tab.
- Depending upon current business needs, the users have to choose either full or partial sharing options.
- Save the changes by pressing Apply and OK.
Method 4: Using The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
The file doctor tool is an effective measure against unexpected error 5 and similar QuickBooks Errors. Here are the steps for using this tool:
- Firstly, go to the official website of Intuit and download QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After that, run the file and install the Tool Hub. An icon will appear on the desktop. Otherwise, go windows search bar and look for the Tool Hub.
- Thereafter, open the Tool Hub–> Company File Issues–> QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
- The tool will start automatic scan of all files and folders. It will start repairing any issues, if found.
Method 5: Reinstalling QuickBooks
- Press Windows+R together–> type aapwiz.CPL in the Run box.
- Double-click the QuickBooks software and remove all files related to it.
- Go back to the official website of Intuit to download and install the application again.
- Make sure to have a backup of your necessary data and then reinstall the application.
It will fix the error.
All methods that we mentioned in the article for fixing QuickBooks Unexpected Error 5 are easy to implement. We also made you aware of the causes that might lead to this error. It will also protect the users from committing mistakes that may have led to the bug.
Sometimes, you many not get effective results, even after repeatedly trying these methods. We advise you to get expert help in fixing the bugs. Our error support team is ready to help you out, regardless of the complexity of the error. Reach out to Error Support Phone Number +1-802-778-9005 for immediate resolution.