How to Fix QuickBooks has Stopped Working or not Responding Error?
Learn how to fix QuickBooks Desktop Not Responding Error.
QuickBooks users often have to deal with this prompt: QuickBooks has stopped working. As the name suggests, this error relates to the time when QuickBooks stops working altogether. With this blog, we will learn why users face this issue. Also, we will understand how to deal with this problem through various methods.
QuickBooks is a widely used accounting application for those who don’t have any background related to accounting. Hence, many SMEs have this software. However, it has lots of bugs, also known as QuickBooks Error.
What is this Error: QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding to the issue?
Whenever the user faces this issue, their QB program stops working suddenly. Hence, it can hamper your efficiency and put you at risk of losing your data. Here is what happens when they see the QuickBooks has stopped working error:
QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Issue: Why Does It Happen?
There are several reasons why this issue might occur. For instance:
- The hard drive is corrupt.
- Another program in the system is hindering the work of QuickBooks.
- The user is facing an installation error.
- Program files/ windows OS are damaged.
- QBWUSER.INI file is missing/ corrupt/ damaged.
- The company name is lengthy.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error Code 6250
Symptoms Of QuickBooks Issue of non-responsiveness
- QuickBooks Desktop won’t open and crash repeatedly if it opens.
- QuickBooks has stopped working error messages will occur frequently.
- Your system will freeze frequently, and it won’t respond when the user gives inputs.
- The OS will suddenly shut down.
- Your device will freeze regularly and will not respond to the input commands.
- The operating system shuts down without any reason whatsoever.
We can avoid such errors in the future by always keeping the application updated. Hence, keep the regional QuickBooks setting as per US time and use appropriate regional settings.
How To Resolve The Issue: Solutions
Before trying to resolve QuickBooks Has Stopped Working or Not Responding Error, follow these steps:
- Firstly, restart the PC and open QuickBooks software
- After that, go to start –> All Programs –> Right-click on QuickBooks
- Press the Ctrl key and open the application.
Solution 1: Install Tool Hub and Run Quick Fix My Program
QB Tool hub is a program released by Intuit to fix many errors that the application faces. Here is how you can utilize the tool and fix QuickBooks has stopped working, won’t open or QuickBooks is not responding.
- Firstly, close QuickBooks, and download the QuickBooks tool hub file from the official website of Intuit.
- After that, save the EXE file(QuickBooksToolHub.exe) in a place where you can access it.
- Run the file and complete the installation. After that, an icon of the tool hub will appear. Open the tool hub after its installation.
- Go to Tool Hub –> Program Problems –> Quick Fix My Program.
- At last, open QB Desktop and the data file.
Hopefully, this will resolve the persistent issue.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error Code 6175
Solution 2: Using Clean Install and Diagnostic tool
- Firstly, open the Tool Hub that you just installed in solution 1.
- After that, go to Installation Issues –> Clean Install Tool.
- Subsequently, a QuickBooks Clean Install Utility window will open. Choose the version that you are using and complete the process.
- After the clean install process ends, start with installing the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Open QuickBooks –> Installation Issues –> QuickBooks Install diagnostic tool.
- Run the process and wait for several minutes till it scans errors and resolves them.
At last, reboot the system and check if QuickBooks has stopped working or not responding, not opening error is fixed or not.
Solution 3: Renaming The QBWUSER.INI
When the user performs this step, it will remove the list of previously opened company files. Hence, you have to open the company file manually.
- Firstly, enable all hidden files and folders. Now open the folder that has the QBWUSER.ini file in it.
- Go to this path: Location: \Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- After that, rename the QBWUSER.ini file by adding .old at the end of the file name.
- Finally, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file. When the user opens the program after renaming the files, they need to check if they can open the sample company file.
- If the sample file opens successfully but the company file does not then copy the file to another location. Also, open the file from a new location.
- When you successfully open the company file from another location, it means that the previous location/ folder was damaged or had faulty permissions.
- However, if you still can’t open the company file, then this might be damaged.
- Restore the previous backup of the file to replace the damaged one.
- Lastly, if you can’t open the sample company file, there might be an issue with QuickBooks installation.
Usually, this resolves the QuickBooks Stopped Working Error. Subsequently, the accounting software auto-generates a new QBWUSER.INI file.
Solution 4: Disable the Antivirus Temporarily
- To fix this issue, restart the PC.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop. If the error persists, turn off the windows defender and antivirus.
- Lastly, restart the device and check if this technique has fixed the error or not.
Read Also: QuickBooks Error 1723
Solution 5: Create a New Admin User
If the windows installation is damaged, the user can try making a new admin user.
- Firstly, go to start–> Control Panel –> Add or remove user account link.
- After that, the user will see a Manage Accounts Dialog box. Here they need to click the create a new account option.
- Give it a name and choose the create admin account.
- After that, click the create account tab and open the company file with a new admin account.
Hopefully, if QuickBooks won’t open, it will resolve the problem.
Solution 6: Use the Refresher Tool
- Firstly, close QuickBooks and download the QuickBooks refresher tool.
- After that, run this file and open the QBRefresher Tool.
- Click the Fix my QuickBooks option. This will check the system for any issue and fix it automatically.
At last, open the QuickBooks to check if the issue is resolved or not.
You can also try QuickBooks System Repair Tool, restore an existing company, and make a new qbtest folder if the above mentioned methods don’t work.
We hope this article can assist you to fix the error. If the above-shown solution does not fix your problems effectively, it’s best to get technical assistance from a professional. Get in contact with eBetterBooks tech Support at +1-802-778-9005 for technical help and they will help you to troubleshoot your issues efficiently.