Go through this post to know how to fix QuickBooks Multi User Switching Error H202?
The QuickBooks Error Code H202 may occur when users try to switch from single-user mode to multi-user mode in QuickBooks. Also, the users face difficulty while trying to access the company file. Hence, we will discuss how to resolve this error.
QuickBooks Desktop is accounting software that has evolved with time. Also, users from all over the world have benefited from this program. It is a one-stop solution for all accounting needs for all non-accounting background SME business owners. However, it has lots of bugs, like Error H202.
Error Code H202 displays when you are hosting a company file on a non-Windows Server.
What is QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi User Switching Error)?
- 1.1 What Causes QuickBooks Error H202?
- 1.2 Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code H202
- 1.3 Fixing Error H202 in QuickBooks
- 1.4 Method 1: Using QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 1.5 Method 2: Verify QuickBooks Services
- 1.6 Method 3: On the Server, Add Services To The Windows Admin Group
- 1.7 Method 4: Configuring Firewall Settings
- 1.8 Method 5: Ping Server From The Workstation
- 1.9 Method 6: Add Server with Windows Host File
- 1.10 Method 7: Rename ND And TLG Files
- 1.11 Method 8: Set Hosting for Local Files
- 1.12 Method 9: Launch Windows Control Panel
- 1.13 Final Words
What is QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi User Switching Error)?
Users face Multi-user switching Error H202 when they try to open the company file in multi-user mode. They may face this issue while transitioning from a single user to a multi-user mode. Here, workstations fail to access the file placed on another system. This error comes with the following error message:
“You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”
What Causes QuickBooks Error H202?
These are the factors responsible for QuickBooks H202 Error.
- Incorrect hosting configuration settings.
- Also, damaged Network Data files.
- Improper DNS settings.
- QBCF and QuickBooksDBXX are components of QuickBooks that have not started yet.
- The company file is not connected to the server.
- Also, firewall/ other security software is blocking communication of company files with the server.
- QuickBooks cannot search the main IP address of the host system. There is an issue with the DNS server.
- Settings in the QuickBooks File are not in favour of accessing the company file.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code H202
The following list consists of all the probable indications for Multi-user switching error H202 in QuickBooks.
- The user cannot switch to multi-user mode.
- Also, error message pops up on the screen.
- The application is working slowly, freezing, and not responding on time.
- Your device is getting slow.
- QuickBooks Error Code H202 message is frequently showing on the screen.
Fixing Error H202 in QuickBooks
Below we have shared the most effective methods to resolve Error H202. Due to these methods, you will easily fix the issues in your application.
Method 1: Using QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- After that, go to the Network Issues tab, and select QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- This process will change firewall permissions. Close the application.
- At last, open QuickBooks on all workstations with QuickBooks Error Code H202. After that, go to file--> Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Finally, if this method doesn't resolve QuickBooks Error H202, go to the next solution.
Method 2: Verify QuickBooks Services
Note: If using the QuickBooks full version, then turn on the multi-user hosting before doing anything else. For this, go to file--> Utilities--> Host Multi-User Access. DON'T select the stop hosting multi-user access.
Ensure that the QuickBooks services are running on the server system. The same steps apply to check both QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService.
- Go to start--> Type run--> hit Enter services.msc--> Press the enter key.
- After that, double-click the QuickBooksDBXXlisting. (Replace XX with the version of QuickBooks you are using)
- For startup type, go to automatic. Verify that the status of service status is on started/ running mode. If there is neither option, then choose start.
- Go to recovery tab--> Restart the service from these drop-down menus: First failure, Second failure, Subsequent failures.
- Save the changes and repeat the process for QBCFMonitorService.
At last, open the application on all workstations. Finally, go to the file menu--> Switch to Multi User Mode. If you don't see the Error Code H202 again, it denotes that the problem is resolved.
Method 3: On the Server, Add Services To The Windows Admin Group
The following components of QuickBooks need admin permissions on the server computer:
After you have provided windows access permissions for sharing the QuickBooks company file, open the QuickBooks on the server system and workstations. Hopefully, it will resolve the QuickBooks Error H202.
Method 4: Configuring Firewall Settings
The firewall in the system can block the data exchange of QuickBooks due to security reasons. Hence, performs these steps to reconfigure the firewall settings for QuickBooks. It will help in the uninterrupted connection between QuickBooks and the server.
- Go to the settings of the system firewall and make exceptions.
- Here, change firewall permissions and open the QuickBooks application on all computers.
At last, go to file menu--> switch to multi-user mode.
Method 5: Ping Server From The Workstation
The user has to ping their server from every station that gets QuickBooks Error Code H202.
- Go to the Start menu on the server and workstations.
- Type Network and Sharing Center. Press the Enter key.
- Click Change advanced sharing settings.
- In the Network Discovery, File, and Printer sharing sections, ensure that the turn-on network discovery option is selected.
After that, get the server’s name by following these steps:
- On the server computer, go to the start menu--> type run and press enter--> Type CMD--> Press Enter.
- In the CMD window, type ipconfig/all--> Press Enter.
- After that, go to the Windows IP Configuration section, and look for the host and server name.
- Copy the name to a secure place so that you could access it later.
The user needs to get back to the workstation to check the server. Since these steps are complicated, you might need an IT professional.
- On the workstation, open Windows Start Menu--> Type Run and press Enter.
- After that, type CMD in the Run Dialogue box and press the Enter Key.
- Finally, type ping (server name) and press Enter. Brackets are for the sake of understanding, that's why do not include them while typing the name
Repeat these steps for all workstations facing QuickBooks Error Code H202. Also, if you get a response for every packet without any loss, it indicates that there is no issue with the server.
However, if there is slow response and packet loss, do not proceed further and reach out to an IT expert.
Method 6: Add Server with Windows Host File
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks Program.
- Follow this path on the server: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc
- Double-click the host file and select notepad as the program.
- Enter the IP address of the server after the last IP address. It will be followed by the server’s name. (In the hosts file).
- Instead of space, use the TAB key to separate the IP address and server name.
- Choose Save in the File menu and exit the settings.
At last, open company files from multi-user mode. If it doesn't work, it means that the QBH202 is still unresolved.
Method 7: Rename ND And TLG Files
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks application.
- After that, on your server system, open the company file.
- Look for the Transaction Log files (TLG) related to the QuickBooks file.
- Rename this file by adding the prefix OLD.
- Follow the same process with the network data file (ND) and exit the folder.
- When you open the company file again, it will generate new ND and TLG files on its own.
- Open the company file while pressing the alt key, until the file opens.
Generally, it resolves Error H202 in QuickBooks and other such errors.
Method 8: Set Hosting for Local Files
The following steps will ensure that the hosting of a company file is not in the hands of any other client's system.
- Firstly, open QuickBooks.
- After that, press F2 and open the Product Information option.
- Lastly, go to the lower-left corner, and select Hosting. It will show local files only under the local server Information.
Method 9: Launch Windows Control Panel
- First of all, shut down QuickBooks on all the systems.
- After that, launch windows control panel and then click on programs and features.
- Click QuickBooks and then tap on change and repair from the list of installed programs.
- And then, you need to allow all the positive options throughout QuickBooks software repair.
- Once you are done with the process, update QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Finally, launch the company file for checking if the QuickBooks error H202 repair was successful.
We hope this article can assist you to resolve the QuickBooks error code H202. If the above-shown procedures don’t resolve your problems, at once get in contact with our technical error Support at 1-860-497-7164 for help. Also, you can post a forum on our website or chat with our QuickBooks experts. We are available all round the clock to guide you till the issue gets resolved.