Every year, QuickBooks Desktop Payroll offers the latest payroll updates to all its subscribers who have an active payroll subscription. These updates come up with the most recent and accurate rates or calculations for payroll tax forms, supported state and federal tax tables, e-file and pay options, etc.
The payroll tax table is basically a chart that is categorized into different columns, helping to calculate the appropriate taxes to be withheld from the employee’s paycheck. The withholding taxes are affected by multiple factors such as the income amount, marital status of the employee, and also the payment schedule through which the employee is paid, whether bi-weekly or monthly. Hence, updating the tax table is necessary every time when you pay your employees.
Important: The most recent Payroll Update is 22401, released on December 14, 2023.
Points to Remember Before Updating the QuickBooks Payroll Tax Table!
When proceeding with the QuickBooks Payroll Tax Table Update process, you are required to keep the following things in mind. Let’s discuss:
- You must have an active payroll subscription if you are planning to update the tax table.
- To get the payroll tax table updates automatically as soon as the updates are released, make sure to turn on the automatic updates feature in QuickBooks Desktop.
- It is recommended that you download the tax table within at least 45 days, or you can update the same every time you make a payment to your employees.
- Also, check that you have updated the QuickBooks Desktop version, and if required, update it as soon as possible.
- It’s also important to have a stable internet connection while updating your tax table.
How to download the most recent Payroll Tax Table in QuickBooks Desktop?
To download the most recent payroll tax table in the QuickBooks desktop application, follow the steps listed below:
- Firstly, go to the Employees menu and then choose the Get Payroll Updates option.
- Now, select Download Entire Update.
- Click on the Update icon.
- Once the download finishes successfully, an informational window will appear on your screen with the notification your payroll tax tables have been installed on your device.
- At last, press OK to confirm.
What is the current payroll tax table version?
The current Quickbooks Desktop payroll tax table is version 11833003, and it’s effective from July 1, 2023, to December 31, 2023.
Confused about your current Payroll Tax Table version?
Adhere to the following steps to check which version you’re using:
- For this, navigate to the Employees menu under QuickBooks.
- Choose the My Payroll Service option.
- Then, click on Tax Table Information.
- In your tax table version, the first three numbers denote the tax table version you currently have, which is named 11833003. However, if you updated your product earlier this year, you may already have released 118.
Note: Before downloading the tax table update, be sure you are using either QuickBooks Desktop 2023 or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Solutions 23.0.
Steps to Install the Latest QuickBooks Payroll Tax Table update using a CD (Disk Delivery Service)
To install QB payroll tax table update using a CD or disk delivery service, perform the instructions outlined below:
- To begin with, insert the Payroll Update CD.
- Select the Get Payroll Updates option.
- For QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier, click on the Employees menu and then hit the Get Payroll Updates icon.
- After this, if you are prompted to locate the ‘update.dat‘ or ‘data file‘ under the ‘Install Payroll Update window, ‘ it is recommended that you take the necessary actions and respond to the prompts.
- Once you are finished, click Browse.
- From the Look in the drop-down arrow, tap to select the CD drive in the Install from the window.
- Now, select the ‘date or update3.dat‘ from the ‘Payroll Update Disk and then choose Open to continue.
- Finally, navigate to the Payroll Update Window and then press the OK button.
Note: If you get a pop-up message displayed on your screen that says “File Not Found,” go through your CD drive by adhering to the steps given below:
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop and press the Start Button.
- Now, choose My Computer.
- Hit right-click on the CD drive and then select the “If you cannot see the files, test the CD on a second desktop” option.
- In case the files appear on the second desktop, then there might be some issues with the hardware on the first desktop.
- However, if you are unable to see the file on both desktops, then you are required to order a new payroll update disk.