How to Switch to Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks
Want to access your company file data from multiple workstations? Learn how you can switch from Single to Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks.
Steps to Switch to Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks Desktop
Below, we’ve mentioned the instructions you need to follow to switch from single to multi-user mode:
- Firstly, open QuickBooks and then navigate to the File menu.
- Select Switch to Single-user Mode/Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- After this, a warning prompt will appear on your screen, asking you to confirm you want to switch to multi-user mode. Press OK.
- Then, QuickBooks will close the company file and reopen it in the Multi-user network.
- Now, you’re good to go.
Benefits of using the Multi-user Mode Feature in QuickBooks!
Multi-user mode is a feature that helps users to work on the same company file at a time. This feature saves a lot of time and makes things easier and faster. This multi-user feature proves to be a blessing in disguise if you have a big firm with many employees.
But when setting up a multi-user feature in Quickbooks Desktop, you are recommended to have at least one user license copy of QuickBooks in your system and keep your company files on your server computer’s local hard drive.
Here are the benefits that the QuickBooks Multi-user feature offers:
- With multiple user access features, productivity, and effectiveness increase automatically.
- All users get concurrent access to their updated company files, ensuring perfect and effective collaboration.
- Protect your data from malware attacks or third-party apps.
- This feature allows you to limit your employee access according to your business needs or requirements.
Things you should know before Switching to Multi-user Mode!
With the help of QuickBooks Multi-user Mode Feature, you can get access to your data files across the network. But the limit of users depends on which license you have as different QB accounts provide different access to its users, such as;
- QuickBooks Desktop Premier allows five users to work in the same company file.
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro allows three users.
- QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Solutions permits 30 users to access the same company file at the same time.
How is Multi-User Mode different from Single-User Mode in QuickBooks Desktop?
Multi-user Mode is an in-built feature in QuickBooks accounting software that allows multiple users from different workstations to work on the same company file all at once. It works on a shared network environment and needs a host computer to share the company file. To open the company file in multi-user mode, make sure you have a valid QuickBooks license. The issue related to QuickBooks Multi-user mode generally occurs when you try to open the company file located on another PC.
Single User Mode is a mode where only a single user can open/access the company file at a time, or if another user tries to open the same file, they will encounter error messages like QuickBooks error code 6073, -99001. It is mainly used for application integrations and maintenance of multi-user environments like network servers.