Check out this post to get the latest solutions to fix the ‘Printer not activated Error Code -20’.
Hopefully, you are familiar with the QuickBooks accounting software and with its numerous features and functionalities. Then, you might also be aware of its error codes that can hamper your business activities.
In this post, we are going to talk about ‘Printer not activated Error Code -20’. This code generally pops up due to the deletion of the KEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software key. Here is a screenshot of ‘How this error code looks like?’
Due to this error code, you will be unable to get a printout of bills, invoices, and payslips. Let’s find out some quick fixes to resolve the error via this post.
What leads to QuickBooks Error 20 -Printer not activated issue?
- 1.1 Trouble-Free Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 20
- 1.2 Resolving Printer Not Activated – Error Code -20 on Windows 7 or later versions
What leads to QuickBooks Error 20 -Printer not activated issue?
Here, we are listing down all the probable causes that lead to the Printer Not Activated – Error Code -20.
- When you have the installation of multiple QuickBooks versions, then you may face QuickBooks Error code 20. Because the different versions may have different directories. That is why you might be facing the issue.
- If you are failed to save and download the bill, invoice, or payslips, this might lead to the same issue. It implies that your software is not compatible with the operating system and the PDF driver.
- Due to the deletion of ‘HKey_Current_Config\software key. It happens when you are using the same registry key. It may hamper the system and software too.
- An incomplete or corrupted installation of the software may also lead to a printing error.
Trouble-Free Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 20
Go through the following solutions to troubleshoot printer not activated error code -20. In case, you face any issues while applying any of the following solutions, get in touch with our experts.
Solution 1: Updating Registry Key (Manually)
It is recommended to create a backup of the computer registry files before updating the registry key. You need to follow these two steps to update the registry key.
Step 1: Use Registry Editor to Allow Permission
- Firstly, launch the registry editor.
- And then press Windows + R to open the Run box.
- Next, type ‘Regedit’ command in the run box.
- Right-tap on the Regedit and then click on ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Look for HKEY-CURRENT-CONFIG to get access to the registry editor.
- After that, choose the folder name and click on permission.
- Ensure that you have full access to the table.
- Lastly, choose OK and shut down the window along with the registry editor.
Step 2: Use Power shell Script to Allow Permission
- Initially, choose the Start option.
- And then type CMD in the search box.
- Choose the Run as Administrator option by right-clicking on CMD.
- Open the command prompt and type Power Shell and then choose the Enter key.
- Finally, copy and paste the printer code 20 on the command prompt.
Solution 2: Reinstalling the QuickBooks Software
- Initially, shut down QuickBooks along with the applications that are running in the background.
- After that, choose the Control panel and click on the Programs & Features option.
- Next, find QuickBooks and choose Uninstall.
- Install the latest version of QuickBooks as per your system.
- Once you are done with the installation process, you can start working on the program and the printer.
- Finally, restart the system to save the changes. And check whether the QuickBooks error 20 printer not activated error has been resolved.
Solution 3: Use QuickBooks Print & PDF Repair Tool
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and download the QuickBooks PDF and Print Repair tool.
- After that, run the tool in administrator mode.
- And then the application will suggest a solution according to the detected issue.
- You need to ensure that the printer is printing out of the software.
- Now, you will be asked for restarting QuickBooks and accessing the tool.
- Finally, close all the applications running in the background.
Solution 4: Verify the Default Email Program
- Firstly, press & hold the Windows + R key to launch the Run Window.
- After that, type ‘Command Regedit’ in the search box.
- Now, choose OK.
- Then, right-tap on the Regedit icon and choose the Run as an admin option.
- Go to the following path. HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Clients > Mail.
- Check the default email name.
- If you are not using the default email program, double-click on the Default section. And then, enter the name of the email program.
- Finally, choose OK.
Solution 5: Activating Windows Print Spooler Service
- The first step is to press Windows + R keys to launch the Run window.
- After that, type services.MSc and choose the Enter key.
- Right-tap on the Print Spooler service and then select the Start option.
- Finally, give it a try to print any document via QuickBooks.
Resolving Printer Not Activated – Error Code -20 on Windows 7 or later versions
Are you facing issues with the ‘Printer not activated? Error -20 on Windows 7, 8, or later versions. You need to apply the following steps respectively to fix the same.
1. Firstly, close the Final Draft
For Windows 7/ Vista users
- Firstly, choose the Start option and then click on the Programs tab.
- After that, click on the ‘Final Draft 9/8’.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ tab.
- Save the documents In PDF format.
- Finally, you can save the script as PFD.
For Windows 8 or later users
- Initially, choose the “Start” or “Windows” icon.
- After that, right-tap on the ‘Final Draft9/8 tile’.
- Go to the Run as Administrator tab.
2. Make Changes to the Directory
To change the directory, you need to apply the following steps.
- The first step is to make changes to the recent registry and create a backup.
- Use the old registry if you are failed to resolve the issues with the changed registry.
- Prepare with the system recovery point.
3. Creating the Backup Registry
Here are the steps to create the backup registry.
- Firstly, choose the Registry Editor tab.
- After that, click the folder tree and select the computer tab.
- Select the File icon and then choose the Export tab.
- Finally, choose the Save icon.
4. Creating the System Restore Point
Follow these steps to create the system restore point.
- First of all, choose the Start or Windows icon.
- After that, look for the System Restore and choose the ‘Create a New Restore Point’ option.
- Next, choose the System Properties and turn on the protection setting.
- Meanwhile, choose Configure and set the protection.
- Click Apply > OK.
- Finally, the system restore point will get automatically created.
Ending the Post!
We expect that the aforementioned post has guided you well while dealing with QuickBooks printer not activated error code 20. And, you can continue printing the QuickBooks company files. Well, the above-mentioned solutions are not difficult to apply.
However, if you are still struggling with applying any of these solutions, feel free to get connected with our QB experts. Dial our support phone number 1-860-497-7164 to get instant technical support.