QuickBooks Error Code 6190, -816 is one of the errors that occur when a user is trying to access/open a company file in single-user mode. Also, if you have Intuit application running on the same computer. The error may appear on the screen & crash the user window due to some mismatch.
QuickBooks is undoubtedly the most used accounting software. It is a complete suite managed and upgraded by Intuit. Now it provides on-premises and cloud-based solutions too. However, this bookkeeping suite is also marred with bugs, also known as QuickBooks Error.
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6190 & 816?
- 1.1 What are the early signs of QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816?
- 1.2 Reasons for Behind QuickBooks Error Code 6190 and 816?
- 1.3 How to fix: Solutions to error -6190 -816
What is QuickBooks Error Code 6190 & 816?
QuickBooks Error Code 6190 and 816 is related to the inaccessibility of the company file. This Error is a technical error that must be solved as soon as possible. It appears on the user screen when QuickBooks cannot access the company file. In this case, multiple users are trying to open the same company file through a single-user mode. For instance, this error message will flash on the screen:
QuickBooks was unable to open the file [path] on the host computer.
What are the early signs of QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816?
Many symptoms indicate that the system has encountered Error codes 6190 and 816
- This message pops up: Multi-user mode is not working.
- Also, the Error codes (-6190, -816) dialogue box appears and crashes the working window.
- The computer will freeze frequently while running the program.
Reasons for Behind QuickBooks Error Code 6190 and 816?
Issues in transaction logs and company files may cause this error. However, we will list down all reasons that might affect the software and raise the Error -6190.
- There is an improper installation of the QuickBooks Desktop.
- When multiple users are accessing the company file in single-user mode.
- The system is under a malware/ virus attack, creating damaged files.
- Also, the TLG Files (Transaction Log) and company files don't match.
- Other programs/ security setup/ antivirus/ cleaning software may have removed QuickBooks files considering them as a threat.
- Above all, the network Descriptor file (ND file) or company file, or the QBW file is damaged/ corrupted.
If there is a mismatch in updating company files and transaction log files, this error may occur.
How to fix: Solutions to error -6190 -816
Here we have mentioned the most effective ways to resolve QuickBooks error 6190.
Solution 1: Updating the windows
An obsolete Windows OS version may reduce work efficiency. It might also be the reason why the user is facing the issue.
- Go to the windows icon--> Start menu.
- Type Update--> Press Enter key.
- It will open the window where new updates (if any) are available. Click the button Install and Update to keep the system up-to-date.
- Restart the system upon completion, and install QuickBooks Desktop again.
Finally, if the QuickBooks installs successfully, it means the error is resolved.
Solution 2: Updating the QuickBooks Software
Intuit often releases new updates to the accounting software to fix some bugs. Hence, follow these steps to install these updates:
- Go to start--> type QuickBooks Desktop.
- Right-click the icon to choose the Run as Administrator option.
- After that, the option of No Company Open will appear
- Here, go to Help Menu --> Update QuickBooks Desktop--> Options.
- After that, select Mark All, and Save the settings.
- At last, the user has to press the Update Now button and check the Reset Updates box. Finally, click the Get Updates option and close the window.
After the completion of the process, reboot the system and open QB Desktop. However, if the prompt of updating QuickBooks appears, press Yes and reboot the system.
Solution 3: Using the file doctor tool
QuickBooks Tool Hub offers many tools that you can use to repair bugs and company files. Also, with the help of the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool, we will resolve the issue.
Go to the official website of Intuit and download QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Install this exe file. After the process completes, click the QB Tool Hub icon.
- Go to company file issues --> Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Click browse to select the company file you wish to repair.
- After that, verify that the Check your file button is active or not.
- Log in as an administrator with a right-click on the file. Continue with the process.
Once the process is complete, it will remove all error pop-ups. Also, refresh the system, and launch the application again to verify if the error persists or not.
Solution 4: Manually work on TLG and ND Files
The below-mentioned solution does not cause any data loss. Hence, rename the files to check if the issue resolves or not.
- Open the company folder.
- Look for the company file. Note here that the TLG and company files have the same name but different extensions, so choose your company files carefully.
- These files are : company_file.qbw.nd and company_file.qbw.tlg
- Rename the company file and transaction log file by changing the name or adding old at its name. For instance: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD. Do not remove the extension.
- Exit the process and open QuickBooks again.
If you can successfully log into the company file, it indicates that the issue is resolved.
Solution 5: Checking the single-user mode
Ensure all the users are not logged into QB Data File.
- After that, reboot the system.
- Finally, copy the data files to the desktop/ any other location from its source.
- At last, copy these files back to their original position.
- Sign in to the system to check if the error is resolved or not.
We hope this article can assist you to resolve the error code -6190, -816. If the above-shown procedures don’t resolve your problems, at once get in contact with our eBetterBooks Support at 860-497-7164 for technical assistance.