Fix QuickBooks Error 1904 – Failed to Register Path
Searching for solutions to fix Quickbooks error 1904? Then, you are here in the right place, this post is for you.
Hopefully, you are familiar with the QuickBooks Error Codes that come across while accessing QuickBooks software. Today, we are here to look into QuickBooks Error 1904 which mainly arises when the files and folders are not supported instantaneously. This displays an error code.
“Error 1904: [file path/ name/ extension] failed to register. “
Let’s discuss QB Error 1904 in detail.
What does QuickBooks Error 1904 indicate?
Error 1904 QuickBooks mainly occurs at the time of registering the file path, name, or extension. This error may stop you from accessing the company file. But you don’t need to worry as this error doesn’t hamper your accounting data and company files.
After knowing about the error, it’s time to search for the relevant causes and solutions to fix QB error 1904.
Read Also: How to fix QuickBooks Error Code 9000?
What may lead to QuickBooks Error 1904?
Below, we have mentioned all the root causes that might be responsible for displaying QuickBooks Error 1904.
1. If your company files are damaged or corrupted, this might give rise to QuickBooks error code 1904.
2. The error may take place after upgrading the operating system.
3. You may receive the error 1904 because of some specific files such as qbupdate.exe, DLL, etc.
4. When you have not allowed installation permissions on Windows, it may be a reason behind the error.
5. During the installation of the Windows operating system.
How to Resolve Error: 1904 while installing QuickBooks?
Given below are the effective solutions that can be applied to resolve Error 1904.
Method 1: Turning on the hidden or built-in Administrator
You need to perform the following steps to activate the built-in administrator respectively.
Step 1: Activate the Built-in Administrator
1. Initially, open Windows and write CMD.
2. And then right-tap on the “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe”.
3. Click Run as Administrator.
4. Finally, enter the “net user administrator/ active: yes” in the command prompt window.
Step 2: Turn on the built-in Administrator Account
1. Press and hold the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys altogether and click the Switch User Windows 8 users.
2. Choose the Windows option and tap on the user icon.
3. Now, hold the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys and choose the default Administrator account.
Step 3: Hide Built-in Administrator Account
1. The first step is to choose the Windows option and write CMD in the search box.
2. Now, right-tap on the CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe
3. Choose Run as Administrator.
4. Write “net user administrator / active: no” and click the Enter key.
Step 4: Modify Installation Directory Security Settings
1. Go to the “C: Program Files Common Files”.
2. After that, right-tap on the Common Files folder and select the Properties tab.
3. Meanwhile, choose the Edit option from the Security tab.
4. Choose the Group or user name and tap on Users.
5. Now, you have to allow the following permissions under the Permission for users tab.
- Read and Executive
- List Folder Contents
6. At last, click Apply > OK.
Step 5: Perform a complete installation of QuickBooks
Under this step, you need to reinstall the QuickBooks software and then access it by using the original admin credentials.
Method 2: Accessing the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
1. Choose the Ignore tab on QuickBooks Error 1904 and start installing the tool. Make sure not to launch QuickBooks.
2. Re-launch your system.
3. After that, download and access the QB Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool only when you are not completely down with the QuickBooks installation.
4. Reboot the PC.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1334?
Important cases that should be taken into consideration
Before going to fix QuickBooks Error 1904, you first need to consider the following points. One of the following fixes may help you in resolving the error 1904 QuickBooks. Let’s have a look at all of them respectively.
Case 1: When you are experiencing QuickBooks Error 1904 during the installation of Adobe Flash Player
1. Firstly, download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and install it on the desktop.
2. Secondly, you need to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player by following the steps written below.
- Go to the Run window and press Windows + R.
- Write in the Control Panel and tap on the OK tab.
- After that, click Uninstall a program and go to the Adobe Flash PlayerActiveX.
- Choose Uninstall.
- Finally, follow the ongoing prompts to complete the procedure.
3. At last, reinstall the Adobe Flash Player from the official website.
Case 2: When QB Error 1904 indicated QBversionTool.dll
Solution 1: Use built-in hidden and verify permissions
1. First of all, access the Run window and press Windows + R simultaneously.
2. After that, write Notepad and choose OK.
3. Again, open the notepad file and enter QBTEST.
4. Go to the File menu and choose Save As.
5. Lastly, you need to save the file to the installation directory.
- 32-bit C: Program Files Common Files.
- 64-bit C: Program Files (x86) Common Files.
Solution 2: Download QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Here, you need to download and install the QB install diagnostic tool. After that, reboot the PC and perform a reinstallation of QuickBooks.
Case 3: When you have Bit defender
In the presence of Bitdefender, you are required to add the C: Program Files Common Files for 32-bit machines. And, use C: Program Files Intuit (C: Program Files (x86) Intuit for 64-bit machines. You need to keep in mind that disabling or turning off Bitdefender could not fix QuickBooks error code 1904.