How to Fix Unrecoverable Error in QuickBooks Desktop – [Updated Methods]
What is QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error & How Does it Look When Occurs
QuickBooks unrecoverable error is an error that occurs when you try to work on your QuickBooks Desktop or access a particular QB company file. Generally, this error does not show any signs of occurrence but only displays xxxxx xxxxx on your screen.
While accessing the company file, it crashes down, and a text message appears on the screen stating that “QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.” Most of the time, the unrecoverable error in QuickBooks appears when a user is trying to access a company file, tap on the ship icon, print icon, or save button at the top of the transaction. This indicates that the error is aiming to block all your path to access the company file.
In addition to the QuickBooks unrecoverable error, you may also encounter error codes with 10 digits, such as 20888 41171 and 00551 46274. It’s worth noting that there is a space after the first five digits of each code.
What are the causing roots behind the QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
Before jumping on to solutions, you need to learn why the unrecoverable error occurs. The following are some main reasons behind the error in QuickBooks:
- Damaged or broken QuickBooks components can be a cause of the QuickBooks unrecoverable error.
- Due to missing QuickBooks or Windows updates.
- Problems with QuickBooks company files because of data integrity.
- Requirement of a program code to repair corrupted data.
- Tried to log in to a company file, and suddenly, a network problem occurred.
- Damaged or corrupted company file in QuickBooks.
How can we identify the effect of QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
The unrecoverable error can be noticed in many ways while using QuickBooks software. Sometimes, QB suddenly crashes down just after opening it. This happens because the error prevents the basic functioning of the software.
A user can also experience frequent freezes of QuickBooks software. Due to this, QuickBooks stops updating in between the processes if a user is trying to update the software. Or it takes a longer time than usual to update.
Also, users can notice that they are unable to save changes that were made recently. This is experienced because the damaged QuickBooks components do not allow QuickBooks to read the company file correctly.
Customized Solution for QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
Considering the basic measures before jumping on to solutions can save a lot of time:
- Make sure to close all the unnecessary background programs before running QuickBooks.
- Check if your system is connected to a stable internet connection.
- Check if tour windows is updated.
- Check if QuickBooks is updated to the latest version.
- Check if your antivirus is consistent with QuickBooks.
Solutions of QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error
Solutions Part 1
- If QuickBooks components are damaged or broken, you can repair them by using the QuickBooks component repair tool.
- If the issue occurs due to a company file, you need to fix it by using the Quick Fix My Program, which can be found in QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Before logging in to the QB company file, always check if the network is working well to avoid any kind of system problem such as crashing down, computer hangs, etc.
- Before heading to any troubleshooting method, check if you have downloaded QuickBooks Fix My Program, QuickBooks Tool Hub, and QuickBooks Rebuild Data Tool.
Solution Part 2
1. Exist From QuickBooks in the Right Way & Close all QuickBooks Processes
To close QuickBooks Desktop in the right way, you can use either of the following methods:
- Click on the X(Cross) button at the upper right corner of the QuickBooks homepage.
- Go to the File menu and select Close Company. Once done, go back to the File menu and select Exit.
Or you can try this method:
- Select Window
- Close All
- Select File
- Close Company/Log Off
- Select File
- Select Exit
Now, to begin with, closing all the programs related to QuickBooks:
- Hold and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open the Task Manager.
- Now, click on the More Details dropdown at the bottom.
- Hit the Processes tab.
- After this, click the image name to index all open processes.
- Choose and close every single QuickBooks process. For this:
- Click right on the process name and
- Select End Task.
- Once all the QB Processes are closed, make an exit from the task manager and try logging in to the QB company data file.
2. Open QuickBooks with all windows closed
QuickBooks automatically reopens any windows that were left open when you closed your company file. You may encounter an unrecoverable error on startup if you have a large report or several windows set to open automatically. To open your file with all windows closed, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select your company file in the No Company Open window, and select your company file.
- Press and hold the ALT key, and then select Open. Do not release the ALT key until the file opens. If QuickBooks prompts you to sign in, release the ALT key and enter your password.
- Press and hold the ALT key again and select OK.
To close all background apps and windows when opening QuickBooks, simply click on the Close all Windows option from within the application.
3. Use a different QuickBooks user
Using a different QuickBooks user can help resolve QuickBooks unrecoverable errors. This is a common troubleshooting step that can be taken to fix the issue:
- First, open QuickBooks.
- First, navigate to the company tab.
- Select Set up users and passwords.
- Then, choose Set up users. If you’re using QB Enterprise, head to the company file, select Users, and then Set up users and roles.
- Next, select Add User and enter the new username and password. Be sure to avoid using a damaged username.
- Customize the user as required and click on Finish.
- Finally, navigate to the file and select Close company/logoff.
- Sign in to the company file using the new login credentials. If the new user works, delete the user you were having problems with and create them again.
4. Create a new Windows Admin
In case your Windows admin user account is damaged/corrupted, it can lead to QuickBooks errors that cannot be recovered and other programs crash during operations. Your files and applications still exist in the user account, but the program fails to operate.
To resolve this issue, it is recommended to create a new Windows admin. You can follow the steps below to create a new admin user account on your Windows PC:
For Windows 11:
- Log in to Windows 11 as an administrator:
- Click on the Start Menu icon and select Settings.
- In the Settings window, click on Accounts.
- Select Family & Other Users.
- Click on Add someone else to this PC.
- If you don’t have the user’s sign-in information, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Provide all the necessary information, such as Name, Password, and Security Questions.
- Finally, sign in with the recently created Administrator user details.
For Windows 10:
- Follow the first two steps for Windows 11.
- Select “Add someone else to this PC.”
- If you don’t have the user’s email address, select “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”.
- Enter the user’s name, password, security question, and hint.
For Windows 8 and 7:
- Press the Windows + R button to open the Run window.
- Type Control Panel in the field and click OK.
- Select the User Accounts tab.
- Click on Manage Another Account.
- Click on the Create New Account tab.
- Enter the name of the new account.
- Select the Administrator tab.
- Finally, click on the Create Account tab.
5. Open a sample company file
The company file stores all the financial data, and if it gets damaged or corrupted, it can lead to various errors in QuickBooks, including unrecoverable errors. When you save your company file, QuickBooks crashes down unexpectedly because of the damaged or broken components of QuickBooks. In such instances, the user won’t be able to access it or create a new company file.
Also, if you are able to open a sample company file, then it means that your company file is damaged or broken. If you are unable to open your company file and the error persists, you can try opening a sample file. Below are the steps you can follow to open it:
- Navigate to the location where the QuickBooks is located.
- Double-click the QuickBooks Software.
- While the software is opening, press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Continue to hold the Ctrl key until you see the No Company Open option on the application.
- Click on the Open Sample File option and select one of the sample files.
- Click OK.
Note: If the application demands any restore or update option, you have to click OK. If the sample file opens without any error, your company file may be damaged.
6. Move your file to a different folder
After opening a sample company file, you need to move it to a different location. You need to keep a note that if you are able to open a sample company file, it indicates that the company file is damaged/broken or the folder where the company file is stored might be damaged or corrupted.
Copying and opening the QuickBooks company file from a different location can aididentify if the folder containing the file is damaged or too deep, which could exceed the file system path limitation. If you still encounter the same issue after moving the company file, it suggests that either the company file or the QuickBooks installation is damaged.
Follow the steps mentioned below to move the company file to a different location:
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop.
- Select New.
- Select Folder to create a new folder.
- Name the folder QBTEST.
- Now go to the folder where the company file is saved.
- Right-click the company file and select Copy.
- Paste the QuickBooks company file into the QBTEST folder created earlier.
- Finally, open the company file from the QBTEST folder.
7. Run Quick Fix My Program
Quick Fix My Program is a tool provided by QuickBooks to help resolve unrecoverable errors. It works by closing any open background processes that QuickBooks uses and running a quick repair on the program. This process aids in diagnosing and fixing the problems that are related to the program or data.
Background programs can interfere with QuickBooks processes and cause unrecoverable errors. For example, if a background program is using the same resources as QuickBooks, it can slow down the program or cause it to crash.
The Quick Fix My Program icon is located under the QuickBooks Tool Hub; therefore, you are required to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub first before running Quick Fix My Program on your PC.
8. Repair your company file using the Rebuild Data tool
The Rebuild Data Tool in QuickBooks is a utility that can help resolve data-related issues, including Unrecoverable Errors. The tool scans your company file and attempts to repair any damage it finds. Here are the steps to use the Rebuild Data Tool:
- Open QuickBooks and click on File.
- Click on Utilities and select Rebuild Data.
- If QuickBooks prompts you to back up your company file, click on OK.
- Wait for the tool to complete the scan and repair process. This may take some time, depending on the size of your company file.
- Once the process is complete, QuickBooks will display a message indicating that the rebuild has finished.
- Click on OK.
9. Repair your company file using QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool provided by QuickBooks. It is used to detect and repair damaged company files within the software. It starts by detecting all the glitches and errors that prevent QuickBooks from accessing the company file and then troubleshooting them in just a few clicks.
Suppose the company file is the issue and the cause of the occurrence of unrecoverable error in QuickBooks. In that case, it performs a scan on the company file, and then, after finding the problem, it repairs it as soon as possible.
After the repair process is completed, the QuickBooks File Doctor generates a detailed report that outlines the problems available in the software. This report works as an analysis that helps you understand the issues and all the actions performed by this tool to resolve the particular error or issue.
10. Reinstall QuickBooks
Reinstalling QuickBooks can help resolve the Unrecoverable error by replacing any damaged or corrupted files that may be causing the error. It also ensures that you have the latest version of QuickBooks installed on your computer, which may contain bug fixes and patches that address the Unrecoverable error.
By performing a clean installation, you can ensure that there are no conflicts with the previous installation of QuickBooks and that all the files are installed correctly. This can help resolve any issues that may be causing the Unrecoverable error.
Remember that reinstalling QuickBooks with a clean installation over an existing installation doesn’t affect your company file, folder, or data so you can uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks without losing company data. Still, it is recommended to create a backup of your company file and other important data before proceeding with the clean installation.
11. Update QuickBooks Desktop to The Latest Release
Every new version of QuickBooks comes with distinctive functionalities that are not present in the previous versions. These features are designed to fix various issues and bugs that users might encounter while using the software.Therefore, it is highly recommended to keep the QuickBooks software updated with the latest version. This will help resolve several QuickBooks problems, including the Unrecoverable problem.
Concluding the Article!
Hopefully, the post has guided me thoroughly to fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error. In case, you are experiencing an error message while resolving the same issue, kindly get in touch with our experts. We may help you in fixing all types of error codes related to QuickBooks.
If you are interested in talking to our experts, call us at our toll-free QuickBooks Error Support Phone Number +1-802-778-9005.