How to Fix QuickBooks Enterprise Force User Logoff
QuickBooks accounting software prioritizes data security with powerful encryption. Despite built-in safeguards and sequential user stages, scenarios may arise where a forceful user logoff becomes necessary.
For example, as an administrator, you might need to execute tasks in Single-User Mode.
To achieve this, QuickBooks Enterprise offers a procedure for forceful user logoff through the Close Company file for Users functionality with QuickBooks Messenger.
In this article, we will discuss solutions for the QuickBooks Enterprise force user logoff issue.
How to Log a User Out of QuickBooks?
To log out from the QuickBooks account and close the company file for a specific user, begin by opening the QuickBooks Messenger app. Let us guide you through the steps in detail:
- Launch the QuickBooks Messenger on your computer by clicking the Company menu. Move further and choose the Chat with Co-worker option.
- Now, from the drop-down menu, select Actions.
- The option Close Company Filer for Users should be selected.
- The user account which you want to log out can be selected here.
- Now, from the menu, select Close Company File.
- Then, click Yes on the confirmation screen when it appears.
Alternative Solutions to Log Off Users From the QuickBooks Enterprise
It is crucial to adhere to proper logoff procedures, especially when multiple hosted users are logged in on the same network. Often, users opt for quick closure by clicking the (X) cross icon on the QuickBooks main windows, risking potential file corruption or damage. Ensuring a secure approach for closing QuickBooks becomes important for safeguarding your company’s file. In case of any suspicious activity, logging out users or resetting their access including, their password, can be a proactive measure.
In the upcoming section, we’ll illustrate various scenarios for forcing users to log off in QuickBooks Enterprise.
Solution 1: QuickBooks Enterprise Force User Logoff with Exit Button
When you try to log out from your QuickBooks company file, at times, it doesn’t log out successfully. In such instances, you can perform the below steps:
- First, open QuickBooks and go to the File menu.
- Select Close Company Log Off from the options.
- Now, you are logged off successfully, whereas in some instances, you may see the No Company
- Open screen. It also displays the Automatic Backup dialog box.
- Afterwards, you can choose the File menu.
- Lastly, click on the Exit button.
Note: This step will ensure successful logoff for you and other users. Also, confirm that you are using Single-User mode.
Solution 2: QuickBooks Force User Logoff by Disabling QuickBooks Messenger
You can easily log users out from the QuickBooks company file by disabling the QuickBooks Messenger. To learn how to log a user out of QuickBooks, follow the steps below:
- First, you need to log in as an administrator in Multi-User Mode.
- Now, click on the File menu.
- Then, click on the Utilities button.
- Finally, select the Disable QuickBooks Messenger option.
Note: Once you are done with applying these steps, you can log out of your company file. Afterward, you can log in again for settings to reflect.
Solution 3: QuickBooks Enterprise Force User Logoff by using Database Server Manager
If you encounter difficulty logging a user out of the QuickBooks company file, consider restarting QuickBooks Database Server Manager. This action can successfully log off the user. Here‘s the step-by-step guide to achieve this:
- Firstly, open QuickBooks on the server.
- Now, click on the File menu.
- Then, choose the Open or Restore Company option.
- From the menu, choose Open a company file option.
- Press the Next button.
- Here, you can look for the company file. Once found, select the file.
- Now, from the option, click on the Open file in multi-user mode.
- Then, click the Open button.
- Subsequently, using a regular username and password, log into your company file.
- Click on the File menu.
- Lastly, close your company file on your server
Solution 4: QuickBooks Force User Logoff from Task Manager
In situations where attempting to log out an employee from the company file proves unsuccessful, it may be attributed to the QuickBooks Messenger Service. The QuickBooks messaging app might not terminate properly when closing the company file, though you can resolve this without the need to restart your PC.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key simultaneously. This action will show a few screen options. You can select the Task Manager option.
- Now, click on the Processes tab.
- Here, you are supposed to search for QuickBooksMessenger (32-bit). The list can also contain multiple instances of this app.
- Now, you can click on each one and hit the Delete button. This will close the process.
Note: After completing these steps, close the Task Manager and proceed to open QuickBooks. Upon logging into your account, open the company file. This method enables you to successfully log users out from both the messaging app and individually.
Solution 5: QuickBooks Enterprise Force User Logoff by Resetting the Password
To log users out of QuickBooks, you can reset the administrator password, preventing them from logging in with the old password. This serves as a method to prompt other users to exit their company files. Follow the procedure of QuickBooks log off user:
- First, open QuickBooks and Click on the Company menu.
- Click on the User option.
- Select the Set Up User and Roles option.
- Afterwards, press the Edit button.
- Now, you can type the new password. Confirm your password as well.
- Once done, choose the challenge question and add the answer for security reasons.
- Lastly, click the OK button.
Note: By following these steps, you can easily log a user out from the company file, but you can open the company file using a new password.
If you are facing trouble while changing the password, you can take the help of a specialist. (CTA)
Various reasons may prompt the need to force a user to log out of the QuickBooks company file, especially when restricted to Single-User mode. You can easily log your user out of your QuickBooks company files using one of the methods mentioned above.
Q1. How do I force a user to log off QuickBooks?
Follow the steps below to end QuickBooks for other users:
- First, open QuickBooks Messenger.
- Now, click on the Actions menu.
- Then, select the Close Company File for Users option.
- Afterwards, choose the name of that specific user whose QuickBooks you wish to end.
- Click on Close Company File.
- Once this step is done, get to the Confirmation window.
- Finally, click on the Yes option.
Note: After the confirmation, the user’s QuickBooks will be closed.
Q2. How do I kick someone out of QuickBooks Enterprise?
To kick someone out of Quickbooks, you are required to have administrator privileges. If you own that, follow the steps below to log someone off:
- Go to the Company menu.
- Now, select Users.
- Then, choose Set Up Users and Roles.
- After that, select the user you want to remove.
- Lastly, click on the Delete User button.
Q3. How do I keep my QuickBooks in multi-user mode?
If you want to switch between modes, follow the steps below:
- Go to the QuickBooks File menu.
- Then, choose Switch to Single-user Mode/ Switch to Multi-user Mode.
Note: Functions such as Payroll and Bank Feeds own a lockout system in multi-user mode that stops other users from accessing the same function at the same time.